Temperature of 45 Australian Stations

Franco Zavatti

At the Judith Currys’ blog Climate etc here, a comment here by Geoff Sherrington present the link to a temperature dataset of 44 (45 for me) stations selected as the available most pristine ones (i.e. as less affected by human activity as possible). Data are available at the support site (DM40) and at Geoff’s site here.

The author of the dataset confirms he filled lost data by eyeballing a suitable mean and that data are not much useful apart the case where a comparison is needed with non-australian data.
I downloaded the dataset and used both my calculations and Geoff’s results (e.g. he gives slopes without errors or doesn’t compute spectra). For sake of clarity I divided all stations (alphabetically ordered) in 7 groups: 6 of them contain 7 stations and the last one the remaining 3.

In fig.1 (pdf) an example of the first group is shown, the other ones beeing available at the support site.

Fig.1. TMAX (top plot) and TMIN temperature for the first 7 stations listed on the right side.

The stations have been linearly fitted and the first 7 fits are in fig.2 (pdf)

Fig.2. Linear fit of the first 7 stations for both TMAX and TMIN. Numerical values are at the support site.
The MEM spectra have been also computed and, again, the first 7 stations
are shown in fig.3 (pdf). Numerical values are at the support site.

Fig.3. MEM spectra of the first 7 stations, both TMAX and TMIN. Spectral shape of top and bottom plots, also for the other groups, appears different.

The slopes of the stations have been set in relation (by Geoff) with Longitude, Latitude, Altitude asl, Distance from Sea and, as (almost) a joke, with WMO code and Ordinal (i.e. alphabetical order) of the stations, for both TMAX and TMIN. Results for TMAX are in fig.4 (pdf) and fig.5 (pdf)

Fig.4. Longitude, Latitude, Altitude asl vs. Slope of all stations.
Fig.5. Distance from Sea, WMO # and Station # vs. Slope of all stations. Numerical values available as max.app and min.app at the support site.

Some connection appears between slope – longitude and slope – altitude.
With surprise, slopes seems to be not related with the distance from sea shore.
The funny plot of slopes vs station ordinal doesn’t give any relation at all, of course. The slope shown a (weak) relation with the WMO code, depending, may be, on the choice of WMO (related to long and lat).

All plots and numerical data for this article are at the support site here

January 10, 2016

GRIP-GISP comparison for D-O events

cfr-grip-gisp-doFig.1. bottom plot: The 10-50 Kyr BP  GRIP d18O per mil density (light gray). Almost 12 Daasgard-Oeschler oscillations are visible. The red line is a 11-points low-pass filter.
top plot: S. Rahmstorf (Geophys.Res.Lett,30, No.10, 1510, 2003) fig.1 with marks for the D-O events. Note that the bottom (GRIP) plot has a different scale with respect to the above GISP2. The pdf file of fig.1 is available at my site, here.


My general comments about pre-built sites (CMSs)


I have been forced by WordPress to create this site in order to post comments at the Judith Curry’s blog “Climate Etc.”.

I don’t like pre-build sites and also CMSs.

I don’t known why, but these structures do always what they want and never what I want!

So, I prefer to write my html pages by a text editor (I use joe under Linux), following the html 3.0 and some of 4.0. I don’t like HTML v5.0 with its configuration style sheets (CSS).
I use (and like so much) html because it is an easy and clear way to take (very readable) notes if, and only if, i can use a plain version of it, without the impressive amount of tags introduced by  a html editor or a CMS: after them I no more can see (and read) the text without a browser and that is not  a good practice for me.

My own site was originally written on November 16, 1995 and from that date I did prepare thousands html pages, all of them by the above mentioned text editor.

As you can easily see, my pages don’t follow the actual “golden” rules of html pages. They never include author’s name, date, language, and so on, between the head and the /head tags; also I widely use “deprecated” tags (such as u /u or b /b ), so my pages are quoted very low by the search engines; but, BTW, I don’t need to sell anything and my site serves as an easily accesible repository of stuff which meets my interests, so quotation of my pages  doesn’t matter.

I’m a retired astronomer and teacher at the Bologna University (I also gave my lectures at the Free University of Bolzano [Bozen] from 2001 through 2013). After my retirement (1st January 2011) I dedicated myself to camping, food and climate within the skeptic side.

Actually, I’m  a regular contributor (79 posts) of the climate blog ClimateMonitor.it owned by Guido Guidi. Of course my posts are (and have been) directly written in html with joe.

Due to the above considerations, please note that this page will not be frequently changed.
But I discovered few days ago that  can write here the html directly, also if with some limitation (e.g. cannot write the attribute size=”+1″ of the font tag) and with an arbitrary addition of tags by the CMS.  Also  cannot use pre, /pre tags.

Perhaps I will  change/add something new more frequently.

My best regards to all
Franco Zavatti